Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:18:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, michaelh@cet.co.jp, wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov, Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

> Terry,
>
> It is very fine with this example, but I'm not even going to bother
> much with it for several reasons, most of which you can find codified
> in the development rules for X11 which you can find in Scheiflers
> book.
>
> But for the record: your example would get even shorter on
> the code we had before I started using the default op sensibly
> because all the layers tended to shunt things they didn't
> understand to errno rather than pass them through, so in
> fact my change took us closer to being able to handle the
> rather lofty example you have here.
>
> Once you show me an actual implementation which has a problem
> with it, I will look at it again, until then, I think pretty
> much everything else is more important (Scheiflers 1st rule :-)
>
> Poul-Henning

That's a fair requirement.  I have some of Heidemann's code that
runs into the problem, but I don't have any that I can redistribute.

Would it be OK if I asked John to send you his code as well, if
you will abide with the non-redistribution requirement?

I understand the prioritization process, and FWIW, I agree with
it, in a resource-starved situation (e.g.g FreeBSD).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.