Date:      Sun, 8 May 2011 23:05:00 -0700
From:      Walt Pawley <walt@wump.org>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Piping find into tar...

FWIW:

Many have recommended using "xargs" to pass the generated list
entries into "tar" or some other archiving program. I've often
had trouble processing lists of filenames using "xargs." Most
of the problems revolve around oddball characters in the
filenames, which tend to be created by users using GUIs. While
certainly no panacea, I've found this sequence in bash/sh

<generate list> | while read X; do <process "$X">; done

often gets around many of the problems.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Wump Research & Company