Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:30:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34710: Add CONFLICT= (like BROKEN=) to bsd.port.mk

The following reply was made to PR ports/34710; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc: Alan Eldridge <ports@geeksrus.net>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:27:24 -0500

 On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 08:10:18PM -0500, Trevor Johnson wrote:
 >There are some patches from Scot Hetzel which support conflicts of both
 >ports and packages:
 >
 >http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=13649
 >http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/13650

 Thanks.

 To whomever: you can close my PR in favor of actually doing some work
 on those listed above.

 However, there's an extra bit of complication we should take note of...
 conflicting specifications between packages that actually *can* be resolved.

 E.g., installing emacs21 on an X-4.1 system:

 emacs21 built with X-3.3 will have a dependency on xpm. xpm will have
 a conflict on X-4.1. But that emacs21 package can be installed, and
 will work, with X-4.1, as long as we honor the conflict but ignore the
 dependency failure that it produces.

 It would be almost essential to have a different concept of
 dependencies, basically passing all the info from the Makefile through
 to the final package, for pkg_add to resolve, if this is to work.

 Using the emacs21 case, emacs really doesn't depend on the xpm port(pkg),
 it depends on libXpm.so*, which is also supplied by X-libs-4.1. In this
 case, the conflicting package satisfied the dependency which failed due
 to its presence provoking a conflict.

 This is, of course, an extreme case, but there are probably others that
 are analogous to this one. Most conflicts won't be from interchangable
 packages, of course.

 Note that the reverse case, which happens when you try to upgrade
 X-3.3 to X-4.1, means that you have to remove the conflicting package
 (xpm).  At this point, all hopes of automagically figuring out how to
 Do The Right Thing are lost, though.

 Just some food for thought (indigestion is more like it).

 Now close this PR. I'll update the other ones with a reference to it.

 --
 Alan Eldridge
 "Dave's not here, man."