Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:10:48 -0800
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, current@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CAM Shingled Disk support patches available

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 8:25 AM, Kenneth D. Merry <ken@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>=20
>>> In the ada(4) case, we need to add the register to struct ccb_ataio =
and
>>> add support in one or more of the underlying SATA drivers, e.g. =
ahci(4).
>>=20
>> I believe that changes the size of the CCB, so I tried to avoid
>> that since I didn???t want to force a recompile of camcontrol(8).
>> Adding it to the atacmd structure wasn???t so bad, and the CCB size
>> didn???t completely change. The problem was that the atacmd changed
>> size and pushed all the other fields.
>=20
> Yes.  In order to do it, we'll need to add it to struct atacmd, and =
add
> compatibility shims.  I don't see another way to do it unfortunately.
>=20

No, I object to changing the structure sizes and contents.  It should be =
new CCB, XPT_ATA_IO_EXT, ccb_ataio_ext.  If you want to add more
future-looking fields than just the AUX register, maybe a way to define
un-typed command and response register objects, that=E2=80=99s fine and =
probably a
good idea.  The periph drivers can probe for the proper command to send
based on whether the SIM returning CAM_FUNC_NOTAVAIL or via a PIM
flag, or even better, via a KVP capability CCB.  However I=E2=80=99m =
firmly against
changing the existing data structures; compat shims have been a pain and
are a poor solution.

Warner and I are pounding out a proposal for this, will share a diff =
shortly.

Scott