Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:23:28 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@outgoing.verizon.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Somewhat OT - authenticating sendmail to the verizon mail relay

Looks like I may have it.  If this goes out, then I do.  Otherwise,
I'm still missing something.

I rebuilt Sendmail with the following flags in /etc/make.conf:
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/sasl1 -DSASL -D_FFR_UNSAFE_SASL
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl

And put the following in sendmail.mc:

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:outgoing.verizon.net')
MASQUERADE_AS(outgoing.verizon.net)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash -o /etc/mail/authinfo')

I read in /etc/defaults/make.conf, that I should also include

define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL',`GroupReadableSASLFile')

 in sendmail.mc if there were any other utilities that needed to
access the sasldb file, which I do.  However, sendmail doesn't
recognize the directive, so I had to take it out.

Now I get this in /var/log/maillog when I start sendmail:
Sep 29 18:12:54 keyslapper sendmail[681]: error: safesasl(/usr/local/etc/sasldb) failed: Group readable file
Sep 29 18:12:54 keyslapper sendmail[682]: starting daemon (8.12.3): SMTP+queueing@00:30:00

So something is still off, even if this message does get thru.

I remade the authinfo hash, but I'm still suspicious of it.

Any ideas what I can do to fix that "Group readable file" problem?

TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org