Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2007 00:23:02 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Errors in "7.3.2 Ripping CD Audio Tracks"

On Thursday 08 February 2007 20:37, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In "7.3.2 Ripping CD Audio Tracks", there is one error, and one
> omission.
>
> This command which is listed:
> cdda2wav -D /dev/acd0a -t 7
>
> is a leftover from FreeBSD 4.x, since on RELENG_5, RELENG_6, and
> CURRENT, onl /dev/acd0 exists for ATAPI CD-ROM drives.
>
> This part of the documentation neglects to mention the need for
> atapicam.  If you do not "kldload atapicam", then this command will
> not work:
>
> cdda2wav -D /dev/acd0 -t 7
>
> cdda2wav: Invalid argument. Open by 'devname' not supported on this
> OS. Cannot open SCSI driver. cdda2wav: For possible targets try
> 'cdda2wav -scanbus'. Make sure you are root. Probably you did not
> define your SCSI device.
> Set the CDDA_DEVICE environment variable or use the -D option.
> You can also define the default device in the Makefile.
> For possible transport specifiers try 'cdda2wav dev=help'.
>
> cdda2wav -scanbus
>
> cdda2wav: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdda2wav: For possible targets try 'cdda2wav -scanbus'.
> Probably you did not define your SCSI device.
> Set the CDDA_DEVICE environment variable or use the -D option.
> You can also define the default device in the Makefile.
> For possible transport specifiers try 'cdda2wav dev=help'.

I think you are a tad confused as to what ATAPICAM does.  It does in
fact provide access to ATAPI drives via the CAM layer, but in the
case of cdda2wav it can speak to ATAPI drives natively, it doesn't
require ATAPICAM to speak to them.  IDE optical drives were /dev/acdX
in 4.x just like they are in 5.x and 6.x

There is a bug in the command, since 5.x the correct device name
should not be /dev/acd0a, but /dev/acd0

The following PR contains the patch to fix the outdated device name in
the handbook.

# cdda2wav -D /dev/acd0 -t 7
cdrom device (/dev/acd0) is not of type generic SCSI. Setting
interface to cooked_ioctl.
307200 bytes buffer memory requested, 4 buffers, 27 sectors
#Cdda2wav version 2.01_freebsd_6.2_i386_i386, real time sched.,
soundcard, libparanoia support
AUDIOtrack pre-emphasis  copy-permitted tracktype channels
      1-12          yes              no     audio    2
.
.
.

# uname -a
FreeBSD .hsd1.mn.comcast.net 6.2-RC2 FreeBSD 6.2-RC2 #0: Sun Dec 24
23:17:34 UTC 2006
root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

(GENERIC kernel, no ATAPICAM)

# kldstat