Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:58:04 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ada Cheng <acheng@e-math.ams.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few questions before I recompile my kernel

> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:09:52 -0500 (EST)
> From: Ada Cheng <acheng@e-math.ams.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Good morning,
> 	First a bit of info on my box:
> Dell Dimension Workstation dual 1.5GHz  Xeon processor
> Integrated Analog Devices AD1885 AC'97 audio (This comes with the system,
> I called customer service for this info)
> Running 4.4-stable
>
> My kernel presently has:
> device pcm
>
> dmesg reveals:
> pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> port 0xcc40-0xcc7f,0xc800-0xc8ff irq 11 at
> device 31.5 on pci0.
>
> and cat /dev/sndstat gives:
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Nov  7 2001 15:52:15
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> at io 0xc800, 0xcc40 irq 11 (1p/2r/0v channels duplex)
>

> I have also install realplayer 8.
>

> My problem: Sound from real audio files and mp3 are at super speed.
> Regular cd playing is fine.
>
> After searching through the archives I notice that people with the AC'97
> audio has it appear in the <> bracket on the line pcm0.  Mine didn't.
> (is that a problem??)
>
> Secondly, I also notice some people add the line
> device csa
> in their kernel although there was no explaination as to why that was
> needed.  So I am thinking of doing that.  Is that necessary?
>
> Finally, there was also the mentioning of the ich.c driver.
>
> I notice the file in /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pic and the line
> dev/sound/pci/ich.c optional pcm psi
> is already included in /usr/src/sys/conf/files
>
> Do I need to `load' the driver??  If so, how?
>
> Any other ideas/hints on fixing my sound speed problems?

Upgrade?

I am running 4.5-Stable of about 2/1 and I see:
pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> port 0xdc40-0xdc7f,0xd800-0xd8ff irq 10
at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: measured ac97 link rate at 55934 Hz

The ac97 line magically appeared on a build about February 1.

I hope this fixes the problem, but I now have a different problem. The
device is always busy! So I get no sound at all, either from realplay
or from gnome (or from copying a file to /dev/dsp). lsof shows that
the device belongs to esd. Unfortunately, I can't find any doc on esd
(esound?) and I don't really have time to scrounge through the sources
at the moment.

Hopefully things are moving in the right direction, at least. And,
it's possible that I'm doing something dumb that is causing the
device to show up as busy.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)