Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:47:53 -0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum and "recovered error"

On Tuesday, 14 March 2000 at  7:21:46 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This morning I found the following in my logs:
>
> Mar 14 00:27:42 fred /kernel: (da2:ncr0:0:4:0): READ(06). CDB: 8 18 2a 99 70 0
> Mar 14 00:27:43 fred /kernel: (da2:ncr0:0:4:0): RECOVERED ERROR info:182ae9 asc:17,1
> Mar 14 00:27:43 fred /kernel: (da2:ncr0:0:4:0): Recovered data with retries sks:80,1
>
> Mar 14 01:06:16 fred /kernel: (da1:ncr0:0:2:0): READ(06). CDB: 8 4 14 a9 48 0
> Mar 14 01:06:16 fred /kernel: (da1:ncr0:0:2:0): RECOVERED ERROR info:414b0 asc:17,1
> Mar 14 01:06:16 fred /kernel: (da1:ncr0:0:2:0): Recovered data with retries sks:80,3
>
> da2 is the second of a two disks which are used by vinum.  Should
> I be worried about the above messages?

Yes, there's cause for concern, but not because of Vinum.  You should
check whether you have ARRE and AWRE set on the drive.  If not, your
disk may be on the way out.

Here's information about ARRE and AWRE from "The Complete FreeBSD":

 Recovering from disk data errors
 ________________________________

 Modern hard disks are a miracle in evolution.  Today you can buy a 16  GB  hard
 disk  for well under $500, and it will fit in your shirt pocket.  30 years ago,
 a typical disk was the size of a washing machine and stored 20 MB.   You  would
 need 800 of them to store 16 GB.

 At  the  same  time,  reliability  has  gone up, but disks are still relatively
 unreliable devices.  You can achieve maximum reliability by keeping them  cool,
 but  sooner  or later you are going to run into some kind of problem.  One kind
 is due to surface irregularities: the disk can't read a specific  part  of  the
 surface.

 Modern  disks  make provisions for recovering from such errors by allocating an
 alternate sector for the data.  IDE drives do this automatically, but with SCSI
 drives  you  have the option of enabling or disabling reallocation.  Usually it
 is turned on when you buy them, but occasionally it is not.  When installing  a
 new  disk,  you  should  check that the parameters ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation
 Enable) and AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enable) are turned on.  For  example,
 to check and set the values for disk da1, you would enter:

 # camcontrol modepage da1 -m 1 -e -P 3

 This  command  will start up your favourite editor (either the one specified in
 the EDITOR environment variable, or vi by default) with the following data:

 AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  0
 ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
 TB (Transfer Block):  0
 RC (Read Continuous):  0
 EER (Enable Early Recovery):  0
 PER (Post Error):  0
 DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  0
 DCR (Disable Correction):  0
 Read Retry Count:  16
 Correction Span:  41
 Head Offset Count:  0
 Data Strobe Offset Count:  0
 Write Retry Count:  16
 Recovery Time Limit:  0

 The values for AWRE and ARRE should both be 1.  If  they  aren't,  as  in  this
 case, where AWRE is 0, change the data with the editor, save it, and exit.  The
 camcontrol program will write the data back to the disk and enable the  option.

Greg