Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 13:23:10 +1000
From:      f3z <f3z@iprimus.com.au>
To:        Chris Staskewicz <cjs@math.utah.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: no fix for digital camera i/o error

on 17/5/2002 11:35 AM, Chris Staskewicz at cjs@math.utah.edu wrote:
> But when I mount (both 'mount' and 'mount_msdos') on /dev/da0, I get
> "Input/output error"; mounting on /dev/pass0, gives "Block device required".

I dont know anything about mounting cameras, but I can help with that error.
There are two types of devices in /dev : block devices, and character
devices. Some devices communicate using characters (stdio, /dev/null, etc .
. .) and some communicate using blocks (hard drives and cd's).

As far as I know it doesnt make sense to mount a character device. Who made
the /dev/da0 (or /dev/pass0). Is there a flag on the filename in /dev to
specify as to whether it is a block or character device?

Regards,
Jacob