Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:19:26 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd gettimeofday() return values

Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'd guess they're related, the numbers are quite close (relatively at
> least). All I can suggest really is upgrade to the latest -STABLE,
> unless someone has a better idea. I recall talk of this calcru problem
> being fixed (I used to see it a bit, too, though I never noticed the
> gettimeofday problem).

I'd guess that the two problems derive from the same basic problem,
though.  I haven't been keeping up with the lists lately - would that
talk of that calcru problem being fixed have happened in time for the
3.4 release?

Well...so far so good with that 'sysctl' command, so maybe I won't
have to hack it in...

> For a temporary hack (*only* if upgrading is too much trouble) I'd
> probably set tv_usec to zero and leave tv_sec alone (probably writing
> some log message so you can tell if that's a possible cause of something
> else breaking). Alternatively, write a loop to try gettimeofday up to
> (say) five times until you get a valid result. Both of these hacks seem
> unspeakably ugly though, upgrading doesn't. :-)

Yeah...but sticking a quick hack in is an easy, sub-hour task.
Upgrading is likely to take a bit longer...it's on my list of things
to do, but it was on my list for a long time last time (I went from
2.2.2 to 3.2).  But I might try it to see if it gets me anywhere
trying to talk to my old Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm tape drive - when I have
it on the bus, the boot process just hangs (along with some strange
messages that I don't remember right now)...another day, another
battle...

Thanx,

Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org