Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 01:09:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        eroubinc@u.washington.edu (Evgeny Roubinchtein)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "dump" of a "live" file system?

Evgeny Roubinchtein wrote,

> Is it possible to "dump" a "live" file system?  (i.e. dump a file system
> when the machine is in multi-user mode, with the filesystem that is being
> dumped mounted read-write). Is it safe/recommended?

It is pretty much assumed most backups are done from live (rw)
disks. I always use dump(1) on all of my different UNIX machines (some
with spiffy wrappers around it, though). I have gotten warning
messages about files changing size duriung a dump, but I have yet to
have it cause any real problem.

> It seems like this wouldn't be a great idea, since on a "live" file system
> mounted read-write there may be pending writes, and it isn't clear how
> dump would cope with that.  Is it better/ok/safe to first remount the
> filesystem read-only?

This is simply not an option for any production machine. Any backup
program has to be ready for this. It is not necessarily possible to
take a 'snap-shot' of a disk. Your idea of unmounting the disk would
create lots of problems on its own. How do you get users to stop
writing or trying to write? When you 'umount -f' the filesystem, what
might that break? etc.

Of course, people tend to do backups during periods of relative
inactivity in teh first place. This is often done since the process
taxes system resources, but less user disk usage is an equally if not
more significant reason not to.