Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Levenberg <richardl@enterprise.ufp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial connection with PPP

Fine FreeBSD users, I was wondering if you could help me.  I have a
serial cable coming from my upstairs service provider down into my
office.  I have just installed FreeBSD 2.1 off the Walnut Creek CD.
The serial cable is connected to my COM2 with a null-modem adapter.

/sbin/dmesg gives me:
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio2 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio2: type 16550A

There is a ppp server on the other side of the serial line.  I am trying
to set up kernel ppp because I have had problems with user ppp.  I
successfully compiled the kernel with ppp and ppp0 shows up when I do
"/sbin/ifconfig -a"

I created an /etc/ppp/options file with the contents:
crtscts
my_ip:remote_ip
netmask 255.255.255.x
passive
modem
defaultroute

My question is, now what do I do?  I tried some stabs in the dark and I
know what I want but I just dont know what to do from here.  I cant get
any more info from the pppd man pages because they dont talk about direct
connections, only dial up.  I tried the mailing archives but they seem
to be only questions and no answers (has anyone else noticed this?)  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.  TIA

richardl