Date:      Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:51:33 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        gnn@freebsd.org
Cc:        performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tarball of ported libmicro 0.3 available for testing...

gnn@freebsd.org wrote:
> [ ... ]  The tarball is here:
>
> http://www.codespelunking.org/downloads/libMicro.tar.gz
>
> I plan to make a  port of this this weekend, but would like some
> feedback on this set of benchmarks.  If they're useful I think we
> should make them part of a nightly benchmarking strategy.

Very nice.  There seems to be good coverage of common tasks, and the ability to
save and compare multiple datasets via the tool which generates HTML makes
understanding the results relatively easy.  It would be quite interesting to
compare a kernel built with and without INVARIANTS, WITNESS, and so forth.

By the way, this runs fine on 5.x, and seems to only need minor changes to go
on 4.x as well using libc_r rather than -lposix.  (All but two or three of the
microbenchmarks compile and run...)

> They are released under the CDDL (Solaris's open source license) so
> I'll need to know from someone what the issues are with that and
> ports.  Of course I'll feed my mods back  to the authors, but other
> issues might crop up.

The CDDL is a well-crafted Open Source license with strong patent protections;
it closely resembles the MPL and is free, fair, but not GPL-miscable.  There
shouldn't be any particular issues including it in ports or using it with
BSD-licensed code.

I'm not sure what else one could say about it, nevertheless this link:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/

...has more information.  Did you have a more specific question?  :-)

--
-Chuck