Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:09:05 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cardbus status

OK.  It looks like we have cardbus working on most laptops.  I'm
currently coming in via the 3C575BT card.  At BSDcon we found that the
following cards worked:
	3C575[CB][CT]
	Xircom cards (and clones: IBM and Intel)
	3c656 (no modem)
	Dlink generic card

There are no modems working right now.  Most of them are win modems,
but there are some drivers out there for them of unknown quality that
haven't been ported to FreeBSD.

Some laptops don't work.  There are resource allocation issues that
need to be addressed.  The Dell 5000e is one of the bad ones, iirc.  I
may need to go buy one of those bad boys.  We don't have a list of
working/broken laptops at this time.

16-bit cards don't work yet.  I've not had time to debug this
completely yet.  I've cleaned it up, but still need to dig deeper.

scsi cards don't work yet.  I talked to Justin about this.  He has
access to code that brings the chips out of power saving mode so that
the SBCs are available.

Generally speaking, to port to cardbus, you need to add 1 line to most
pci drivers since our card bus code emulates a pci bus very well.
Many drivers need to be taught to cope with detaching properly as
well.  In addition, many drivers will need to have some chip specific
tweaking due to errata that apply only to cardbus silicon or the
manner that the cardbus implementation differs slightly from other
cards supported by the driver.

A big thanks to Jonathan Chen for his excellent work.  The code is
mostly stable, but there are still issues.  It should be considered
advanced alpha or early beta until we get more experience with this
code and fix the issues that invariably come up when laptop hardware
gets into the loop.

It will not be available in -stable for some time, if ever.  My palns
are to get the 16-bit code working, firm up the issues between now and
then and then throw the switch over from OLDCARD to NEWCARD by
default.  We need an devd infrastructure in place as well.  No clue
how long all this will take :-)

Warner