Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:19:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X: PS/2 mouse problems

    I managed to compile XFree-4 from ports on 29 Sep, and
    Mozilla from ports on 07 Oct. X has not crashed even
    with both Mozilla and Xemacs running --Xemacs has
    locked, but has not taken the X server down. The OS is
    CURRENT as of 0000 GMT 11 Oct (today).

    HOWEVER, the cursor movement is not tracking with a PS/2
    mouse --it moves, but it skips, misses pulses, false
    triggers, and does other assorted weird tricks; you can
    select with some mouse gymnastics, but you can not
    navigate pull down menus or move/resize windows --let
    alone even consider cut and paste operations or button 2
    (emulated).

    I have no choice but to define the mouse in
    /etc/X11/XF86Config as:

      Section "InputDevice"
	  Identifier	"Mouse1"
	  Driver	"mouse"
	  Option "Protocol"    "SysMouse"
	  Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
	  Option "Emulate3Buttons"
	  Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "155"
      EndSection

    This is the same basic declaration that was used for
    XFree86-3 --and worked fine with a PS/2 mouse for years
    despite the obvious call for /dev/sysmouse.

    If I declare: 'Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"' and 'Option
    "Protocol"' either "PS/2" or "SysMouse", X refuses to
    load, flashing a jumbled screen before cashing in.

    Then, to make sure PS/2 is not the problem, I bought a
    generic serial mouse, which 'moused' said was reporting
    as 'SysMouse', and connected it to /dev/cuaa0. Same
    results in X.

    Both the PS/2 and Serial mice work perfectly in the
    ttyv? virtual terminals, including cut and paste and
    responding to the rate adjustment (-a).

    The system is a Tyan 2642 SMP Thunder 7 with dual 1.2G
    CPUs and 512 Meg DDR 266 and two IBM 10,000 RPM 160 MB
    SCSI drives. No plug in cards other than the Matrox
    Millenium II with 8 Mbyte.

    Anyone else having the problem? any solutions or
    comments?