Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 22:00:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, chris@calldei.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & X

On 30-May-99 Phil Regnauld wrote:
>       That's an understatement.  GMC core dumps regularly, and Windowmaker
>       dies (taking X with it) every couple of hours on my box (1600x1200x32),
>       while KDE runs stable for weeks at a time (though it's a memory hog).

Hrm. I must admit I've never tried Gnome (I just thought it looked
cool). But I've grabbed the latest Window Maker 0.53 and it
seems pretty solid on my machine, apart from Wprefs dying once.

Even if we didn't use Window Maker, it may be possible to 'port'
the theme to another manager like Afterstep. However, I think
it would be a good way to help get FreeBSD onto the desktop
if we could install a branded GUI at installation. And as I'm
not a big fan of twm, I think a new manager is called for.

How 'bout XDM? Do you think it would be a good idea to install
that as standard if the user chose this new GUI option?

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org/