Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:20:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
Cc:        jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com, freebsd-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth John T. Farmer on Tue, 30 September:
> :
> : 	That I don't know off the top of my head.  I suspect that you're
> : 	correct & they all are using patented sockets.
>
> [moved to chat]
>
> The fault for that would lie squarely on the shoulders of the patent
> office.  Obviousness is *supposed* to be a prima facie criterion for
> denial of patent.

I hate to add only a meet to to any conversation, but in this
case, I really think that we have ignored this criterion for
patents far to long, and that our patent office ought to be
more strigent that it has in recent years with regard
to granting patents that are obvious.  I will grant
complete lack of knowledge of the backround of patent examiners
but it almost appear that the people examining the patents are
complete lay-people with no computer backround.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
<A HREF="http://www.glue.umd.edu/~crb">My home page</A>