Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2006 13:49:12 +0900
From:      Ian Jefferson <ijeff@sandbox.ca>
To:        Jeremy Ehrhardt <jeremye@caltech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum stability?

One thing you might consider is that gvinum is quite flexible.

The subdisks in vinum that make up a raid 5 plex are partitions.
This means you can create raid 5 sets without using each entire disk
and the disks don't need to be the same model or size.  It's also
handy for spares.  If you start having media errors a new partition
on the offending disk might be one option but any other disk that
support a partition size equal to the ones used as subdisks in the
raid 5 plex will also do.

Having said that I'm finding it tricky to understand and use gvinum.
It seems to be on the mend though, the documentation is improving and
the raid 5 set I had running seemed pretty stable for a 40 minute
iozone benchmark.  That's all I've done with it to date.

IJ