Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@MLINK.NET>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        'Nate' <publisher@laptop.ompages.com>, gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Person, Roderick wrote:

: This, IMHO, is a great idea!!! I have been playing with FreeBSD for some
: months now. And the kernel Kicks Ass!!! It just 'feels' better too. But the
: package installation and management is terrible. It took me at least 3 weeks
: to figure it out. People are always saying how hard it is to install Debian
: by dselect, FreeBSD is a nightmare. I hope this does go somewhere. In fact I
: think I go home and experiment with porting Debian stuff to FreeBSD!

Have you gone mad? FreeBSD's ports system is the best I have ever seen, I
have ran Linux(RedHat, Slack, Debian), OpenBSD, FreeBSD.. I stuck with
FreeBSD for a damn good reason. How difficult is it to "cd /usr/ports ;
make search key=<what you are looking for>" It don't get much easier then
that people.. I'm in love with the ports tree, and I'd hate to see it
trashed for some poor[*] precompiled packaging system.

[big snip]

Matt

* In my opinion.

--