Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:41:11 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <alex@norcom.ru>
Subject:   Remote connect over dedicated LAN

>Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:40:36 +0700
>From: "A.Mukonin" <alex@norcom.ru>
>Subject: =?koi8-r?B?18/Q0s/T?=

>Здравствуйте!
Hi! Alex, if you want to ask questions and get answers on this list
you have to write in english... Anyway, considering it's your first(?)
appearence here (welcome), I'll try to answer.
(The following quoted text is translated from original post by me, sorry
8-))

>There is a LAN with Internet connection (via proxy)
>with FreeBSD machine. How to connect the remote machine through FreeBSD
>via leased line and modems to LAN and Internet?

Well, personally I am using Zelax M-115A 115.2 kb/s four-wire external
modems
on the 1km line. Work just fine... Look at
http://www.zelax.ru
for more info (also in russian,yes).

But there is another great thing:

http://www.granch.ru

Granch adapters are positioned as "short-range modems", but looking
in drivers sources it seems to me they are a kind of (so to say)
"long-range" Ethernet controllers: range up to 8 kilometers,
speed from 62.5 to 2000 (!) kbit/s. And yes, they have drivers for
FreeBSD 2.1, 2.2, 3.0, and 3.1 (not to mention Linux, NT 3.51/4.0,
Win9*, and even MSDOS drivers also). Their Solutions page has
link to at least one example of Granch usage with test statistics
screenshots. And they are cheap.

Well enough about hardware. As for LAN/Internet connections issues:
i'm afraid your question is too general and the answer will be too long.
Maybe you'd better to read network sections of FreeBSD Handbook
an FAQ and then ask more detailed questions about particular
problems/issues.

>Can remote machine have an IP address from my LAN?
Hmmm... I'd say it _must_ have it. To be more specific:
the interface (device) connected to your LAN must have
IP from your LAN address space. Somebody _must_
correct me if i'm wrong.

Best regards,
Igor Bykhalo.