Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 20:31:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.1 Dual Boot Problems

I'm no stranger to FreeBSD 4.0, however I'm no expert either.
I've installed FreeBSD on several machines w/o any problems,
but my new 4.1 CD's are a p-a-i-n.

I have a 10G HD divided into 2 slices.  The ad0s1 slice is for
W98 (for wife and daughter) and slice ad0s2 is my FreeBSD slice.
I installed 4.1 using the same procedures as my 4.0 install.

During the "fdisk" step I "deleted" slice 2, and re-created it
(just to remove all data). I then set slice 1 and slice 2 to
"bootable" (just like I did for FreeBSD 4.0).  After I finished
installing 4.1, and all of my desired packages, the install wants
to re-boot. But... no re-boot.  My system cycles into the re-boot
sequence but I never get the boot loader program with the "F1/F2/etc"
options.  All I get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor.
No keyboard keys work, not even Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I can not boot W98 or FreeBSD. I tried to re-install 4.1 over and over
and over but no matter what I tried I could not get 4.1 to write
the boot loader to the mbr.  I finally went into the garbage and got
my FreeBSD 4.0 CD's and did a "minimum" install.  Again I removed
slice 2, etc. just as I did for 4.1.  As I expected FreeBSD 4.0 did
indeed install the multiple O/S boot loader.  This time when I installed
4.1 I told it NOT to install a boot loader and, when the install was
finished, I was able to boot W98 or FreeBSD with the 4.0 boot loader
program.

What is wrong with 4.1 that it will not install the bootloader
program to the mbr?  Is this happening to anyone else?

Can I boot from the "official" CD's that I got from Walnut Creek?
How?  If I can boot from the CD's, can I force the the re-write
of the multiple O/S boot loader to be written to the mbr?  How?
Being able to boot from the CD's is not going to do me any good
if my wife can not access her W98. That is why the need for the
dual boot system.

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA