Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:42:35 -0700
From:      Carl Reisinger <cer@mirapoint.com>
To:        Kern Sibbald <kern@sibbald.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape data loss

While your current problem may not be related to the
tendency of physio to silently breakup writes (and reads) I
believe you should revisit your code and make sure all buffers
are on a page boundary, especially since your writes are over
61440 bytes in size. And the max bufer size should be limited
to 65536 (otherwise all writes will be split).

Doing this now will prevent surprises in the future.

Carl Reisinger
Mirapoint

>Most of Bacula writes are 64512 bytes, and all the
>data that was lost consisted of blocks of 64512 bytes.
>

>> But I sorta doubt that this was the issue.
>>
>> A buddy of mine at Mirapoint did just remind me that physio
can silently
>> break up xfers that are even less than 64k if the buffer
isn't page
>> aligned- I'd forgotten about that. But I'm not sure that
this is what is