Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:51:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
To:        Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd@voidmain.net, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade freezing

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Grove" <freebsd@voidmain.net>

>>> Thanks.
>>> Dave.

>> Do you have to power off the system before it will be responsive again or
>> just kill portupgrade? Have you looked through the logs for any messages?
>> portupgrade v2.01,1...are you sure; that doesn't seem to correspond with my
>> versioning scheme? What does pkg_info say about portupgrade and it's
>> version? What does portversion -l "<" say about portupgrade?
>>
>> -Tom

> On Jan 4 Dave contributed the following:
> Hi,
>   I don't have to kill the system, just portupgrade. When i run portversion
> -l "<" it just hangs as well. A pkg_info shows portupgrade version 2.0.1,1.
> Dave.

Been watching this thread. Ran my usual maintenance script which
ends up with portversion -l "<" and, if needed, portupgrade -arR
and portsclean -DP. It showed portupgrade needed upgrading again
from 2.0.0,1 to 2.0.1,1 & upgraded it. Afterward, I had a couple
of stale dependencies, but not related to portupgrade. Fixed them.
Ran portversion again and, though it wasn't needed, portupgrade,
both with no problems. Since, at that point, nothing needed upgrading,
I still can't say for sure if the same problem described originally,
exists or not on my system, but I'm sure within a couple of days,
something will need upgrading. If portupgrade screws up, I'll reply
to this thread again. BTW, running FreeBSD_5_4 on an old HP Netserver.
I didn't see in this thread what version of FreeBSD the problem was
happening on. Wondering if it'd help on the system in question to run
portsdb -uUF and pkgdb -fu and try portversion and portupgrade again.
Hope some of this helps.
Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A