Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:15:45 +0300
From:      Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@cc.ece.ntua.gr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cannot access disk

After adding a 40G ide disk(ad3) on my system, I 'ld like to devote some
extra space to FreeBSD (there is already a linux installation on the 40G
disk). However, after booting my -stable installation on the first
disk(ad0), I get the error message "excessive recursion in search for
slices" by the kernel on any attempt to access ad3 (mount a partition,
fdisk -s /dev/ad3, or even a read() on ad3).

Initially, I thought I had hit a bug in sys/kern/subr_diskmbr.c. Only, us=
ing
a userspace partition viewer (which understands the partition setup on ad=
3
when run under linux) I get simillar errors (ie infinite loop in the
partition handling code). (it _seems_ that at somepoint in following the=20
extended partition tables chain,  a read() returns sector 0 (the mbr of=20
ad3), but don't quote me on this)

I therefore conclude that this is not a problem in the partition handling
code and given my lack of familiarity with the kernel I cannot even guess
at the cause. If  it's any use, ->d_secperunit in the in-kernel
disklabel is the same as the number of sectors reported by the linux
kernel.

Any ideas are _very_ welcome.

PS: I do read -hackers, but please cc: me in any reply.