Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 20:19:35 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with second start of XFree86 3.3

Barry Masterson:
 |stephane@lituus.fr:
 |> Velocity 3D (S3 Virge/VX - 4 Mo Ram).
 |>
 |> The first time i launch "startx", everything is fine. XFree has no
 |> problem at all.  But, if i quit and restart "startx", i get a black
 |> screen and all i can do is to reboot the computer with the reset button!!
 |
 |I, any many others had the same problem. Seems most just switched
 |to the XF86_S3V server. I'm successfully using a patched version
 |of 3.3 on a 9FX Reality ViRGE/VX with the XF86_S3V server.

I'd be very interested in getting a copy of this patch!  Can you mail it to
me?  Or if you were asked not to distribute, can you give me a contact at
XFree86 to ask?

I'd switch to to SVGA to help find bugs if I could get past that lock-up.

(Hmm.  Its interesting that they had a patch for this against 3.3 and it
wasn't included in 3.3.1.  Strange.)

Thanks,

Randall Hopper