Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:28:24 -0500
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to not use OPTIMIZED_FLAGS properly

> 07.02.2011 20:50, Konstantin Tokarev =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=88=D0=B5=D1=82:
> >

> > 07.02.2011, 20:34, "Ruslan Mahmatkhanov"<cvs-src at yandex.ru>:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I'm working on port that doesn't builds with "-O2 -pipe", that passed =
> >> Makefile by default (it exits with message about virtual memory is
> >> exhausted). I can avoid this by setting CFLAGS=3D"" and CXXFLAGS=3D"" =
in
> >> CONFIGURE_ENV. But portlint is complaining like this:
> >>
> >> WARN: Makefile: CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS are not needed in CONFIGURE_ENV as the=
> >> are already added there in bsd.port.mk.
> >> FATAL: Makefile: CFLAGS are clobbered in CONFIGURE_ENV.  Alter CFLAGS =
in
> >> the Makefile with CFLAGS+=3D... instead
> >> FATAL: Makefile: CXXFLAGS are clobbered in CONFIGURE_ENV.  Alter
> >> CXXFLAGS in the Makefile with CXXFLAGS+=3D... instead
> >>
> >> What is the right way to do the job?
> >>
> >> PS. If i set -O0 in CONFIGURE_ENV, it's later redefined to "-O2 -pipe"=
.

> > Have you tried CFLAGS+=3D-O0 as portlint suggested?
>
> As i said before i tried that. If i'm using +=3D-O0 then it changes to -O=
2
> -pipe. If i'm using =3D-O0, then all builds fine, but this make portlint
> complaining.

CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are already passed by default in do-configure, as
portlint states.  Why aren't you simply defining them, by themselves
and not as a part of CONFIGURE_ENV, in the port Makefile?:

CFLAGS+=3D-O0

This seems pessimistic, by the way.  Have you tried adding other
compiler flags, like those to control the compiler's memory usage? Or
using another compiler via USE_GCC, or patching the source code?

b.