Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:55:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      George Mitchell <george@m5p.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.x Install Kernel Dies Probing ISA Bus

I have a machine which has been happily running FreeBSD 3.4+KAME (and
FreeBSD 3.2 and other earlier versions as well).  When I try installing
4.1, 4.1.1, or 4.2 on it, the kernel hangs up after probing the PCI
devices and before probing the ISA bus.  When I boot up in 3.4, here
is some output from a boot -v:

[all PCI probes succeed, ending with xl0]
bpf: xl0 attached
Trying Read_Port at 203
Trying Read_Port at 243
Trying Read_port at 283
Trying Read_Port at 2c3
Trying Read_Port at 303
Trying Read_Port at 343
Trying Read_Port at 383
Trying Read_Port at 3c3
No Plug-n-Play devices were found
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0067
atkbd: keyboard ID 0x41ab (2)
kbdc: RESET_KBD return code:00fa
kbdc: RESET_KBD status:00aa
[and so forth, and the system boots up]

By comparison, here is what I get with 4.2 booting from the kern.flp floppy
with boot -v:
[all PCI probes succeed, ending with xl0]
bpf: xl0 attached
[system hangs forever]

And here's what I get with 4.1 booting from the kern.flp floppy with boot -v:
[all PCI probes succeed, ending with xl0]
bpf: xl0 attached
Trying Read_Port at 203
Trying Read_Port at 243
Trying Read_port at 283
Trying Read_Port at 2c3
Trying Read_Port at 303
Trying Read_Port at 343
Trying Read_Port at 383
Trying Read_Port at 3c3
ata-: ata0 exists, using next available unit number
ata-: ata1 exists, using next available unit number
[system hangs forever]

The system is built on an ASUS motherboard which was the latest thing
back when the Pentium 166MHz was new, and it's hard for me for consider
it "old".  But, 4.2 works fine on my laptop.  I sure would like to
upgrade my machine.  Can you give me any suggestions?
-- George Mitchell (george@m5p.com)