Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:50:57 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade, apache2/apache22, php4/php5

> [Please keep me in the Cc: line]
>
> I have a couple of machines I have been upgrading over time using cvsup
> and portupgrade.
>
> On one machine that was running apache2 and php4, Something happend and
> portupgrade on that machine now wants to install both php4 and php5, and
> I'm seeing a package conflict between php5-5.2.0 and php4-4.4_1.  How
> can I resolve this?
>
> On another machine, I expressly installed apache22 on it, and have
> tried to convince portupgrade that I want to use apache22 instead of
> apache2 (now apache20).  I have tried various combinations of
> APACHE_PORT=www/apache22, WITH_APACHE2=YES, and USE_APACHE=2.2+ and I
> have not yet found the winning combination.
>
> I note that chapter 5 of the porting handbook says that WITH_APACHE2 is
> the knob I should use, and capter 6 of the same book says WITH_APACHE2
> is deprecated.
>
> What should I be doing, and if this is documented somewhere, where can I
> find that documentation?

I think you can solve both of these problems with the same technique.

Using portupgrade's -o option, you can replace on port with another.
For example:
portupgrade -o www/apache22 apache

Will replace whatever version of apache you've got installed with
Apache-2.2, including rearranging any required dependencies so they
point to the new port.  Usually, when I have problems with portupgrade
like you describe, it's because some already installed port requires
something I don't want as a dependency.  The above trick has fixed it
every time for me.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.