Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:01:59 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        ay@sita.kiev.ua
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Example mime.types, and mailcap for mutt?

> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:38:29 +0200 (EET)
> From: ay@sita.kiev.ua
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> In article <20020206201226.GD18171@hades.hell.gr.lucky.freebsd.questions> you wrote:
> > On 2002-02-06 11:07, stan wrote:
> >> I'm moving to mutt for my mail reader, and I was wondering if anyone would
> >> be kind ennough to share a copy of these files that are tweaked for FreeBSD
> >> program locations?
> >>
> >> I'm installing it on both FreeBSD, and Debian. Debian supplies some
> >> examples, but the paths etc are all wrong for FreeBSD.
>
> > Well, here's my ~/.mailcap file:
>
> > 	image/*;xloadimage -view '%s'
> > 	text/html;lynx -force_html -nocolor -dump %s;copiousoutput
> > 	application/x-tar-gz;gzip -cd '%s' | tar tvf -;copiousoutput
> > 	application/x-perl;cat -v;copiousoutput
> > 	application/postscript;/usr/X11R6/bin/ghostview '%s'
> > 	text/plain;;x-mozilla-flags=internal
>
> > Here's a sample line from /usr/local/etc/mime.types too:
>
> > 	[keramida@home /home/keramida]$ grep perl /usr/local/etc/mime.types
> > 	application/x-perl              pl pm
>

> > The file /usr/local/etc/mime.types has been installed at the correct place
> > by the mutt-devel port for me:
>
> > 	[keramida@home /home/keramida]$ pkg_info -W /usr/local/etc/mime.types
> > 	/usr/local/etc/mime.types was installed by package mutt-devel-1.3.25_2
>
> 	It's all nice, but how to manage application/octet-stream ?
> 	I do often receive msword attachments, labeled as octet-stream.
>
> 	More : catdoc fails to show nsworld files with exocic charsets.

If they are just labeled as "application/octet-stream", the sender
messed up. They should be "application/msword". I believe some
versions used a bogus application type for all Office documents, but
application/octet-stream is wrong as it only says that the file
contains undefined binary data.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)