Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:25:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@temphost.dragondata.com>
To:        cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us (Chris Dillon)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym driver in 4.1.1+ on Proliant

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Kevin Day wrote:
>
> > I've got several Compaq Proliant ML530's with the internal '896
> > SCSI controller. Everything works great on 4.1-RELEASE. Going to
> > 4.1.1 or 4.2 causes sym0 to say "Cannot allocate IRQ resource",
> > followed by a kernel trap inside the sym driver. Has anyone
> > experienced this, or know what I can try?
>
> I had this problem long before 4.1.1, several months ago, but I'm not
> exactly sure what caused it.  I assume that your on-board SCSI
> controller is trying to use IRQ15.  Go into the Compaq System Setup
> and make sure no devices are using IRQ15 except for possibly the
> on-board IDE controller (which is what is _supposed_ to be using it).
> That solved it for me.  I've got a PR open on this, but I haven't yet
> had time to figure out exactly what caused it since it is on a
> production system.  It might be a BIOS problem, but it definately
> works with some previous kernels and not with newer ones.

The servers are about 1000 miles from me, and dispatching a tech costs about
$100/hr... Anything I can do to avoid having someone there go play in the
setup, I"ll do. :)

interrupt      total      rate
ata0 irq14          4        0
sym0 irq10     100198      113
sym1 irq11         47        0
fxp0 irq5      418750      475
fdc0 irq6           2        0
atkbd0 irq1         2        0
clk irq0        87859       99
rtc irq8       112457      127
Total          719319      817

Everything seems happy on its own IRQ... I just don't get it. :)

-- Kevin