Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:15:58 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

At 11:16 PM 4/1/2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Brett writes:
>
>> Which Netscape? I'm running 4.79, and the page
>> is ugly.
>
>You're running a version that contains thousands of bugs and was obsolete
>years ago.

It's no more buggy than anything else out there. And it's a classic, which
millions of people run. There's no excuse for creating pages that it won't
render properly. It had some spyware features, but there were options to
disable them. Those options disappeared in 6.0.

>  I run 6.0, which is also obsolete, I guess, but I only use it to
>test pages.

Netscape 6.0 is bloated spyware and crashes on many machines.... Far
inferior to Netscape 4.x, IMHO.

I've thought about running Mozilla, but it seems to retain most of
the same bloat and also seems to have spyware features that you
can't disable.

>  My usual browser is MSIE 6.0,

Can't trust it. Have you seen the latest round of nasty exploits
for it?

>and sometimes I run Opera 6.0,
>which is of about equal quality (but not free).

We have Opera 5.1 running on some systems, but Opera 6.0 is a CPU
and memory hog; it brings many of our systems to their knees.

Of all of these, Netscape 4.79 seems to be the best tradeoff.

--Brett