Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:30:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asm_pci.h,v  Holy cow!

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Julian Elischer wrote:

> My cvsup appeared to be frozen, so I stopped it and looked..
>
> src/sys/dev/isp/asm_pci.c,v is 13MB long!
> it was just taking a long time..
>
> this seems a little excessive.

I was annoyed by this a few months ago when the file was only 10MB.

> anyone got any ideas. (13MB on a 40Kbit link is a long time)

Use CTM on slow links :-).

> to make matters worse cvsup appears to be redownloading some very large
> percentage of this file whenerver there is a change to it.

This seems to be inherent in the file format.  Binary data is expanded
by a factor of 4 due to encoding it as a C array.  Even tiny changes
in the data ripple through the array and give huge diffs.  Uuencoding
the data would only expand it by a factor of 1.4 although it would
have the same problem with the diffs.

Bruce