Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:22:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rdkeys@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        rdkeys@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (), freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-STABLE

> On Mon, Aug 25, 1997 at 11:45:28AM +0200, Hartmann wrote:
> > Dear Sirs.
> >
> > On which release is FBSD 2.2-STABLE based on?
>
> I don't know how to break this to you, but the answer is "FreeBSD 2.2".
>
> Greg

Not to pick at nits.... but, I am still confused as to what EXACTLY is
the ``stable'' FreeBSD.  Please enlighten me, and tell me the reasoning
behind it.

I read all the various manuals, faq's, .txt's and everything else that I
can find, but it still is not clear.

My interpretation is:

1.  The ``stable'' FreeBSD is 2.1.7.1.  (ref FBSD HBK 16.2.2 para 1, and
    16.3.2.3 para 9)

2.  A currently developing stable line is in progress based upon the current
    2.2-RELENG tree (AKA the current 2.2-97xxxxRELENG daily snapshot).

That, to me, means that 2.1.7.1 is ``cast in stone stable'', and the current
RELENG snapshot is ``mostly 99.44% stable''.

The mail I get from folks suggests 2.2 is the stable thingie and I have seen a
reference tag to a 2.2-STABLE, and that 2.1.7.1 is basically history.  If it
is, why is 2.1.7.1 called stable in the FBSD HBK?

Will someone please explain to me WHAT IS the stable FreeBSD,

which version number it is,

what the url to it is,

and which bootdisk is the correct one to use to ftpinstall it?????

That will help clarify the waters for me, and I am sure others, tremendously.

Also, if it would be of merit, why not snapshot the handbook so it is
current with the current development of FBSD?  In my interpretation,
and from what everyone says ``RTFHBK'', then I should consider it the
``bible'' of FreeBSD (actually it is the best reference to point to
over the FAQ/.txt's, etc, from my experiences), it needs to be kept
up to date like the sources.  Thus, a daily snapshot might be of use.
The May 19th date for the current handbook seems a little dated if
anything other than 2.1.7.1 is the ``stable'' FreeBSD.

Thanks

Bob Keys
rdkeys@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu