Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:01:06 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        trini0 <trini0@optonline.net>
Cc:        Stephen Fitzhugh <fitzhugh@connix.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: psmintr:out of sync

trini0 wrote:

> This error happens alot with people with kvms, including myself.  There has
> been whispers that the psm flags could be adjusted which may make it work,
> but I guess that is for the high priest voodoo magician eyes only.  Read up
> on the man page for psm, there are flag options which may be able to deal
> with this.  For the life of me, I can't seem to get these numbers to the
> 0x????? format.  Someone on here tried to explain it to me, but I guess my
> memories of math in school are finally eluding me.....
> Has anyone come across this error, recompiled their kernel with new psm
> flags, and have it work then on out.  The truth......
> How do you turn "bit 15" into 0x????

I'm shamelessly stealing someone elses (actually "David Schultz"
<vvortex1@home.com>) answer.  I had saved this email for future reference.

<PLAGARISM>

> Hey, all.  Im trying to see if I could get my mouse working with my
> "new" kvm.  I read up on the psm man page about the optional flags.  How
> do I convert the bits into a flag number?  Thanks for your help.

The value of the nth bit should be 2^n if the bit is set, and 0 otherwise.
Simply add all of the bits. For example, if you wanted to set HOOKRESUME
(bit 13) and INITAFTERSUSPEND (bit 14), you'd have 2^13 + 2^14 = 0x6000. You
could then make an entry in your kernel configuration file similar to this:
device          psm0       at atkbdc? irq 12 flags 0x6000

</PLAGARISM>

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                     Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

        - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.