Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:49:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>
To:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just got my DSL today...Problem Solved!

On 20 Apr 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org> writes:
>
> > I just spent about 2 1/2 hours in windows trying to get the card to work
> > using downloaded drivers.  I've concluded that tomorrow I'll go buy a well
> > known, well supported one.  Any recommendations?  Preferrably cheap.
>
> The funny part is that an el-cheapo ISA NE2000 card is all you would
> need for a DSL connection. When I had my DSL, the downstream was 1Mbs,
> while an ne2k allows for 10Mbs. My advice is to buy one of those with
> drivers and documentation, and you will get it working in no time.
>
> If you want to get something better, Intel EtherExpress 100+ is
> reportedly one of the best cards on the market. D-Link DFE-530TX (not
> TX+) is also a good deal for a 100Mbps. It uses via-rhine chip and is
> *very* cheap.
>
> But, again, for what you doing really any working card would
> do. RealTek 8139 - chip based cards are very cheap, and are a
> no-brainer to configure, since they are PCI cards.
>
> Check the manpages for fxp, vr, and rl. ;^)
> --

Thanks everyone for all your help.  I went into LINT and made a list of
all supported cards.  Then I took it to the local used PC store and found
one that was on the list.  I ended up with a 3com 3c900 PCI card.  That
made all the difference in the world, I'm happy to say.  I just downloaded
RealPlayer7 in just over two minutes!