Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:35:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Most wanted

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Vulpes Velox wrote:

> > Does XFree86 4.4 include comprehensive Monitor databases (like
> > hwdata-knoppix) and automatically use the correct VertRefresh and
> > HorizSync for your monitor?
>
> Nah, still does not do much in the monitor config area... but
> getconfig can be used to supply a safe and good defualt...

I am now looking at getconfig and the mostly empty .cfg examples.

Where can I find useful getconfig data (with many entries like hwdata)?

> > Does XFree86 4.4 configuration automatically include the best
> > (common) resolutions and modes?
> >
> > Beginners don't want to manually edit their XF86Config. (Defaulting
> > to depth 8 and the common 640x480 is not good enough.)
>
> Yeah, that is why you point them at xf86cfg -textmode for editing
> it...

I will have to see if that is easy.

> And again you can use getconfig to provide safe defualts...

Also, where are the beginner's directions for using getconfig?

(getconfig's man page doesn't help the newbie.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/