Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:16:51 +0100
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>
To:        Boris =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ster?= <koester@x-itec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgresql library link missing

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 04:07:17PM -0800, Boris Köster  wrote:
> To be conform with the dox for the postgresql, a
>
> ln -s /usr/local/lib/libpq.so /usr/lib/libpq.so
>
> for the postgresql port would not be bad *g.

It would be bad according to FreeBSD's directory layout (check the hier
man page). /usr is reserved for the FreeBSD userland (or base OS),
software installed from FreeBSD ports usually go to /usr/local - or
somewhere else if preferred.

> So I can link with -lpq as mentioned in the postgresql devel-dox.

No. Add -L/usr/local/lib before your -lpq, and linking will work just
fine. Check the ld and gcc man pages one day, too. :-)

Cheers,

--
Anders.