Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:16:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de (Andre Albsmeier)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make a non-dangerously dedicated disk?

In a previous message, Andre Albsmeier said:
> As the subject says: I want to create a non-dangerously dedicated disk
> but without using sysinstall. The reason is, I want to make an exact
> copy of the present system (2.2.6) but can't use the dangerously dedicated
> mode because the new disk will go into another broken Siemens PC.

By 'exact copy' do you mean that the disk is the same? I've just completed
making a boot disk/cdrom or tape combination to make cookie cutter
systems on some IBM Z Pros.

If the disks are the same, you can get the configuration of the first
one in fdisk and make an fdisk.conf file to input to the new disk.
Read the fdisk man page, it's quite simple.

I have IBM 4.2 gig SCSI disks. The fdisk looks like:

$ fdisk sd0
******* Working on device /dev/rsd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=548 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=548 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 4192902 (2047 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 260/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

Which I put into fdisk.conf:

g c548 h255 s63
p 1 165 63 4192902
a 1

The first line is the geometry. The second line is the first partition and the
third line sets the first partition active. Simple.

Then run: fdisk -i -f fdisk.conf /dev/rsd0

Then do the same sort of thing on disklabel, newfs, fsck and off you go.

I created a mini kernel (and compressed using kzip), then built a boot floppy
with the kernel and all the programs needed (it's a squeeze): ifconfig, newfs,
fdisk, disklabel, fsck, mount, restore, init, mount_cd9660, sh, sync. Then add the
minimally needed support files: fstab, fdisk.conf, disklabel.conf, /usr/mdec/boot[12],
MAKEDEV, devices, master.passwd (and run pwd_mkdb), services (just the shell line),
boot.config and /etc/rc.

Creating the rc that did the install turned out to be the hard part. And mine is
extremely simple minded, and needs to be expanded to handle other media. I do
remote tape and local CD-ROM. A local/remote disk or local tape would be trival.

I did run into one other problem. After rdumping my FS's to a solaris tape host,
I wanted to dump the dump files to disk so I could burn them on my CD-Rom burner
(in Win NT, grrr). But Solaris dd couldn't read the file off the tape? Anybody
got ideas why? And I still want to get my Philips CDR400t going on FreeBSD.

Oh, I guess I rambled a little to much. If anybody is interested in the scripts,
I'd be glad to pass them on or post.

Paul.

--
When people run around and around in circles, we say they
are crazy. When planets do it, we say they are orbiting.