Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:01:36 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 10:46:23AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> How would people feel about adding /usr/local/include and
> /usr/local/lib to gcc's default header and library search paths,

No.  This is not PREFIX clean.

> we already have /usr/local/lib in the default ldconfig_path, so why
> not in the link-time search path as well?

Because ldconfig_path is set in a config file (/etc/rc.conf).  If the
user makes PREFIX point elsewhere, they make a simple edit of rc.conf.
Adding -IPREFIX/include to gcc burns this into the binary, and that is
not easy for a sysadmin to change.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)