Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:00:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nathan Arun <nathan_arun@hotmail.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a suggestion

Nathan Arun wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD developers,
> I sent an e-mail to freebsd core team. Mr. Warner Losh suggested I should
> sent that e-mail to this arch list.
>
> So here it is.

[ ... change layout of disk to resemble Windows ... ]

The problem with this is that both layouts are wrong.

The Windows layout is wrong because it assumes that programs
will install libraries and other software into system
controlled directories.

The UNIX layout is wrong because it assumes that things
will be installed into /usr/local.

While it's nice that UNIX has at least made it possible
to tell the difference between pieces of the OS, and the
software you install on top of the OS, by the location
where it is installed, ideally, applciations would be
autonomous resources.  This basically means that you
would be able to get them out of the file space from a
subhierarchy, and not care if the location of the files
was on the local system, a remote system, or a CDROM.

The problem with the Windows approach (aside from the
inherent succeptibility to exploits and the confusion
of what is application and what is system) is that the
version of what's installed is not installation
specific (this could be corrected on Windows, if they
had hard links available in the FS -- they've only very
recently "invented" symbolic links) so that each program
could bring in the version of the DLLs and other file
dependencies it cares about.

The UNIX approach is much closer to the ideal, but could
benefit from the idea of a "default user".

Windows XP moves closer to the ideal, but from the
wrong direction, by providing "personal views" on things.
Like "themes", the main effect of a "persona view" is
that technical support becomes an order of magnitude
harder, since there are much fewer common points of
reference between the person providing the support, and
the person needing the support (in information theory, a
common point of reference is called a "Schelling Point";
an old example is the file "README.TXT", and a more or
less modern one is the file "LICENSE").

> I'm suggesting this because it is confusing to have so many bin & sbin
> directories. This may sound trivial to experienced UNIX users like you, but
> if you want to grow your user base, you should target the OS at more naive
> developers like me. Many developers feel that windows is easy
> and want to try something more challenging, but UNIX is too difficult.
>
> These difficulties in turn become a "SIGNIFICANT BARRIER TO ADOPTION".

I claim that this is based on the false premise that the
average user would be looking around for, or even care where,
files are located.  The user cares whether or not the programs
on the system work, and could really care less about whether
or not the command they are accessing is in "/sbin", "/bin",
"/usr/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/bin",
"/usr/X11R6/bin", etc..  Finding the program is the job of the
shell or file manager or desktop shortcut, not the job of the
user, and it only becomes a problem when it's not where it can
be found by that software.

Windows hides this using the "installed image" concept, which
originally came from VMS and its predecessors TOPS-20, TOPS-10,
etc..  The programs are "known" because they are referenced by
an installed image name vs. real path pair in the registry, or
if they are user supplied, in the shortcut (e.g. moving an
executable directory to a different name and clicking on the
shortcut results in an automatic "search" operation that finds
the moved program, and offers to permanently change the
shortcut).

> UNIX community steadfastly refused to improve usability on the desktop and
> Microsoft laughed it's way to the bank.

This is certainly true.  But I place the blame at the feet of
Novell.  I once asked a Novell executive, at the preannouncement
meeting for the employees (to see how it would sell) where they
"deemphasized UNIX on the desktop", "If users aren't going to
run UnixWare on their desktops, what _Novell_ OS *are* they
going to run instead?".  The answer was "Microsoft Windows",
and that executive left Novell to pursue other opportunities
after making that response.

> I'm afraid the same thing is going
> to happen on the server side as well.

Unlikely.  Server software has different human factors
requirements (mostly because it's used by "different"
humans 8-) 8-)).

-- Terry