Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:57:17 -0400
From:      ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        Skip Ford <skip.ford@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable error msg

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:47:33 -0400
Skip Ford <skip.ford@verizon.net> wrote:

> Your 40-pin cable doesn't have anything to do with not being able to
> burn.
>
> You should still be able to burn CDs even with the wrong cable.

 Sure... but!

 I had two small SCSI drives and the same CD-Burner in there before, and
everything was working fine.

 Now I remove the two SCSI drives and SCSI Controller, put the new Maxtor
Drive as master on IDE Channel 1 slaved with a plain CD player. The Burner
has always been Master by itself on IDE Channel 2.

 Now after this change, I can no longer write a directory of wav files to
the cd-rom without the machine spitting out errors about the hard drive.

 The motherboard is old and only supports ATA33.

 SO I'm getting me a PCI IDE ATA100 Controller and cable, and will connect
the Maxtor drive up to channel 1 by itself, drop the other CD player, and
keep the CD-Burner as master on its own channel and see what happens.

-ger