Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:54:24 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pNFS server Plan B

OK, wow.  This appears to have turned into something of a referendum on =
NFS and, just based on Rick and Doug=E2=80=99s defense of pNFS, I also =
think my commentary on that may have been misconstrued somewhat.

So, let me just set the record straight by saying that I=E2=80=99m all =
in favor of pNFS.  It addresses a very definite need in the Enterprise =
marketplace and gives FreeBSD yet another arrow in its quiver when it =
comes to being =E2=80=9Ca player=E2=80=9D in that (ever-growing) arena.  =
The only point I was trying to make before was that if we could ALSO =
address clustering in a more general way as part of providing a pNFS =
solution, that would be great.   I am not, however, the one writing the =
code and if my comments were in any way discouraging to the folks that =
are, I apologize and want to express my enthusiasm for it.  If iXsystems =
engineering resources can contribute in any way to moving this ball =
forward, let me know and we=E2=80=99ll start doing so.

On the more general point of =E2=80=9CNFS is hard, let=E2=80=99s go =
shopping=E2=80=9D let me also say that it=E2=80=99s kind of important =
not to conflate end-user targeted solutions with enterprise solutions.  =
Setting up a Kerberized NFSv4, for example, is not really designed to be =
trivial to set up and if anyone is waiting for that to happen, they may =
be waiting a very long time (like, forever).  NFS and SMB are both =
fairly simple technologies to use if you restrict yourself to using, =
say, just 20% of their overall feature-sets.  Once you add ACLs, =
Directory Services, user/group and permissions mappings, and any of the =
other more enterprise-centric features of these filesharing =
technologies, however, things rapidly get more complicated and the =
DevOps people who routinely play in these kinds of environments are =
quite happy to have all those options available because they=E2=80=99re =
not consumers operating in consumer environments. =20

Sun didn=E2=80=99t design NFS to be particularly consumer-centric, for =
that matter, and if you think SMB is =E2=80=9Csimple=E2=80=9D because =
you clicked Network on Windows Explorer one day and stuff just =
automagically appeared, you should try operating it in a serious Windows =
Enterprise environment (just flip through some of the SMB bugs in the =
FreeNAS bug tracker - =
https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/issues?utf8=3D=E2=9C=93&set_filt=
er=3D1&f%5B%5D=3Dstatus_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=3D*&f%5B%5D=3Dcategory_id&op%=
5Bcategory_id%5D=3D%3D&v%5Bcategory_id%5D%5B%5D=3D57&f%5B%5D=3D&c%5B%5D=3D=
tracker&c%5B%5D=3Dstatus&c%5B%5D=3Dpriority&c%5B%5D=3Dsubject&c%5B%5D=3Das=
signed_to&c%5B%5D=3Dupdated_on&c%5B%5D=3Dfixed_version&group_by=3D - if =
you want to see the kinds of problems users wrestle with all the time).

Anyway, I=E2=80=99ll get off the soapbox now, I just wanted to dispute =
the premise that =E2=80=9Csimple file sharing=E2=80=9D that is also =
=E2=80=9Csecure file sharing=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9Cflexible file =
sharing=E2=80=9D doesn=E2=80=99t really exist.  The simplest end-user =
oriented file sharing system I=E2=80=99ve used to date is probably AFP, =
and Apple has been trying to kill it for years, probably because it =
doesn=E2=80=99t have all those extra knobs and Kerberos / Directory =
Services integration business users have been asking for (it=E2=80=99s =
also not particularly industry standard).

- Jordan