Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:56:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Networking Basics on Bridging and Forwarding

Dear Sirs.
it is a little bit confusing to me and maybe to others, and it's not
easy to dig all the necessary informations that are vanished by the
'documentation' of FBSD concerning some really important switches
in the kernel configuration and later on done by sysctl. I have to set
up an dual homed server which should act as an IP filter using IPFW,
so I think I should call it firewall. Because this machine has to be
'plugged in on the fly' into an existing network I have to configure
and gather experiences without any kind of simulating environment,
so this task seems really hard to me. Well, while fiddling around with
the kernel, two NICs and assigning IPs to each NIC I ran into trouble
for a while.

My main intention is to learn more about the differences between the
option bridging and IP forwarding. Well, as I understand all the literature
I've been reading for this, IP forwarding forwards pakets from one IP source
to another IP destination - but there is nothing be said about NICs.
Well, I enabled so far IP forwarding by enabling the machine acting as a
gateway. This switch is well known and located /etc/rc.conf.local. My handicap
is, that I have only IPs out of a pool of a local network and the IPs are
wide spread over the complete range of available IPs, so I can not split
both NICs into two separate networks. Due to this fact I took some
examinations in attaching a second machine BEHIND the second NIC. So, NIC1
is attached to the main LAN and gateway, NIC2 is assigned with a server
and some services and attached to another machine, a WIN2k client. Idea
was: Filtering all netflow through NIC1 and NIC2 by IPFW and proxy net-
connects from win2k client to the outside world.

To perform this task, IP forwarding was not enough, the win2k client
had no access to the outside world until bridging was enabled.

Well, I know that this type of configuration is really lousy and I suppose
there is a kind of logical mistake in this construction. Maybe someone out here
has any idea how to set up a satisfying simulating environment.
But much more important to me is: what is the difference between bridging and
forwarding? Is IP forwarding working correctly without bridging in a dual
homed environment? Why using BRIDGING? Do we have some deeper insights for
FreeBSD on the net, like special links?

I regret asking these foolish questions, but consulting Linux documents offers
an other scheme of 'how to do', sometimes not applicapable to FBSD.

Gruss O. Hartmann