Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:38:48 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chris Fedde" <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>, "FBSD-Q" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kweheria@iconnect.co.ke>
Subject:   RE: Isn't it true?

I looked up the PDF file again at that URL and I agree with you that the 2701
is capabable of doing both sync and async - according to the PDF.  That is
something that I overlooked and should have mentioned.

However, the PC serial port cannot do 64K async because the clock chip
used in a PC will not divide into that frequency.  56k is as close as
you get.

He did say that they were using a Cisco 25xx at the other end.  Frankly if
it's plugged into the AUX async port of the 25xx then that router is way
overkill and as you point out he should be using PC's.  Also the 25xx
AUX async port is just like the PC port in that it cannot do 64K either.
Since he listed 64K on the circuit diagram I used that to assume that it's
in the sync port of the 25xx.  If it is plugged into the sync port of the
Cisco using the usual sync V.24 cable then he can't use a PC with an async
port at the other end.

It is probably quite possible to run a pair of 2701's at 56k async mode on a
private TDM.  However he is going to have to find out from the Telco if
the line that they are supplying is a private point-to-point and if he
can do anything other than 64k synchronous on it.  Certainly if the Telco
tells him that both ends of the line must use line clock provided by the
Telco then he can't do it.

If he can do it and he wants to keep the Cisco 25xx at the other end then
he will need to plug the other 2701 into the AUX port of the Cisco, NOT
the sync serial port.

Also, of course doing it this way will reduce the throughput to a little
below 56K because you lose some with the clocking.

>From what I've read it looks like the OP is right on track to a
>robust solution assuming that the circit between the two 2701 is
>two unloaded copper pair

The problem that I have with this is that he said in his first mail that
the separation distance was 10km.  The PDF for the 2701 claims the
_maximum_ line distance that can be supported is 7.2km

Based on that I assumed that he is specing them because the Telco told him to
use them - because the line is not a true unloaded copper pair, but instead
is terminated at the CO and multiplexed with other circuits.  That would
almost certainly demand 64k synchronous and likely both sides would have
to use line clocking.  Some countries which have nationalized telephone
systems will dictate the requirements for the customer connection equipment,
and I could well imagine that the Mainstreet might be on the list of
approved customer prem equipment.

>A standard PC style 16550A UART should
>work perfectly.  there is no need for a fancy synchronous interface
>card. Infact one will not work with the V.24 interface on the 2701.

That is NOT true.  The PDF file lists all units as capabable of doing
both sync and async except for the 2801 which can do only sync.

>For this application the 2701 is a bit of overkill, If it is surplus
>hardware that's great.

I also am somewhat mystified by the selection of the Mainstreet 2701.  For
starters, it appears that Mainstreet doesen't exist as a company any
more and the product is ancient technology. In fact, the description of the
Mainstreet explicitly says it was designed to use with Mainstreet 3600 family
of multiplexors.  I would assume from that wording that if the things don't
work here that Alcatel will use that to not support them being plugged into
Cisco's. :-)

>But if he is buying hardware to do this
>and has line of sight I might recomend a pair of ORiNOCO 802.11b
>cards and a pair of dish antennae.

Can he even do that where he is?  Some countries freak at the thought of
their citizens running transmitters of any kind and ban them outright.
Also 10km is close to the edge of reachability for the 2.4Ghz 802.11 stuff.

This discussion is actually raising more and more questions.  Odhiambo,
care to comment?