Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:58:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jason+freebsd@kanda.com
To:        Gilbert <gilbert@mail.gloviz.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Internet Super Server

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Gilbert wrote:

> Hi There Chris
>
> I am aware that the Inetd is not run on the web server but the config
> file and I am looking for the correct syntax to input into the file so
> that I can get the total size of the packets inbound and outbound and
> publish them to a file of some sort.

Checkout /usr/ports/net/mrtg & /usr/ports/net/net-snmp

This combination should give you the sort of thing you are looking for.

See also Michael Lucas's articles from http://www.onlamp.com/bsd/

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/08/10/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/09/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/10/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Make sure you update your ports tree before installing net-snmp & take
appropriate steps to firewall your snmp ports and carefully read the
following security advisory:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-02:11.snmp.asc

Jason