Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:26:51 -0700
From:      Andrew Houghton <aah@roarmouse.org>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   native JDK on Dragonfly BSD

I've been playing around with DragonFly BSD for a few weeks, and thought
I'd try compiling a native JDK from ports.  Surprisingly enough (more on
that later) almost everything seems to work.  Admittedly, I'm not doing
deep testing -- but the plugin, the JVM, and javac have handled
everything I've thrown at them, including IntelliJ IDEA, various web
applications, and things like HPJmeter.

The one place I *am* running into problems is with Java Web Start.  When
I try starting it I get:

  Java Web Start splash screen process exiting .....
  Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file: No such file
  or directory

I traced this message down to line 243 of
/deploy/src/javaws/src/share/native/launcher.c; the helpful comment on
line 241 or so says "This should never happen."

The closest bug report I found was from Evan Easton:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-java/2003-December/001403.html

using his script I was able to get javaws to start, but i still can't
get any of the demo apps to actually run.

Now, looking at the patchset there's no mention of DragonFly (not
surprisingly).  The reason I was surprised that most things work is that
the patch seems to be making many choices based on system type, and it's
just not clear whether DragonFly defines anything close to the expected
system types.

So, I'm poking through the patchset and seeing what I can do, but
someone actually familiar with this stuff (i.e., Greg or Alexey) could
do this about a million times faster than I could, I think..

Is there any chance of getting DragonFly into the list of "officially"
supported systems for the native JDK?

Thanks,

- Andrew