Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:15:48 +0100
From:      Andy Coates <andy@bribed.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw bandwidth shaping problems (intermittent latency)

Luigi Rizzo (rizzo@icir.org) wrote:
> you must have some huge traffic source somewhere else which perhaps
> fires every 3 seconds ?
> The default queue is 50 slots so the fact that reducing the
> queue to 15 brings the latency down to 70ms probably means
> that for some reason the queue is almost full

There's nothing that fires every 3 seconds - I've sat and constantly
watched the interface with trafshow etc.  The level is usually always
constant at 1000Kbit/s (maybe rising to 1200 or so, but no where near
the 2400 the limit is set to)

And I also agree about the queue, but no matter how I tweak that part
there is still that intermittent latency.

Andy.