Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:28:08 -0800
From:      Peter Hessler <freebsd-misc@theapt.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I am trying to update my 4.5-stable system, and I keep getting the
error "make: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected"  I try to run "make
cleandir" and it fails with that error message.  Any of the other
make commands that are executed in the /usr/src directory fail the
exact same way.  I have deleted all of /usr/src, and re cvsup'd, with
same results.  Been like this for about 10 days.  I think I changed
my make.conf, but I copied the one from /usr/src/etc/defaults to
/etc/defaults.  Dmesg, and my build script are at
[http://www.theapt.org/freebsd.html]  I'm fairly certain I messed up
a config file or two, but I don't know what files I messed up.