Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Jeffrey Vehrs <jwvehrs@netzero.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's the best color in xterm background for ur eyes??

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Jeffrey Vehrs writes:
> > I'd like to know which color is the best for your eyes in xterm background?
> > Some color can strain ur eyes, but which one is good for ur eyes without any
> > straining?
>
> Mu.

LOL. (To anyone who has studied Zen, this is funny.)

> There are so many variables in this one that any answer will be wrong
> under some conditions. Off the top of my head: display technology;
> ambient lighting; the users sensitivity to colors and display
> frequency; the dominant *foreground* color.

Just to address the issue of ambient lighting, let me say this about
that. I've found that it is very useful to have a dimmer on the light in
my work room. I adjust it so that the (white-ish) monitor bezel appears
to have about the same brightness as my (gray) fvwm root window.

> If you're really worried about eyestrain, use big fonts. Set the
> colors to things that contrast without clashing.

The classic combination from late-night TV is yellow letters on a blue
background.

> Black on white works really well in many situtations - if the display
> technology can deliver a clean enough white for your eyes. Personally,
> I like the barest hint of blue in the white, but that's just me.

I have my monitor set for a very high color temperature, like 10000K.
This corresponds to Mike's recommendation for adding some blue.

Those who would like to geek out on the issue might want to have a look
at Charles Poynton's video engineering web page, especially the link to
"A Guided Tour of Color Space." See
http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/Poynton-video-eng.html

Hours of fun  :^)

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape