Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 14:38:07 -0500
From:      "Raja Velu" <raja@micronetusa.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Disappearance of emails sent from Outlook through sendmail

Hi,

One of our customers typically has to broadcast marketing emails to contacts
who have subscribed to receive such information. He has created a mailing
list of 400 odd recipients in his Outlook address book (Outlook 2000). He
connects to our SMTP server through the Internet. We are running sendmail
(version 8.11.6) on FreeBSD 4.4. We are facing 2 problems related to this
process:

1. Today, the customer repeatedly gets timeout messages at his Outlook
client with the ID 0x800CC19. At the server, I see the message:
*******
May  1 13:48:18 support sendmail[498]: g41IkQk00498: lost input channel from
l-64-175-113-30.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net [64.175.113.30] to MTA after rcpt
*******
I found some trouble-shooting tips on resolving this issue which I shall
attempt now. In case any of you have any tips off the top of your head,
please fill me in.

2. The second and more IMPORTANT problem is this - This customer claims he
sent a similar email (to 400+ people) successfully about 15 days back. I
looked over the maillog for that day. The only outgoing email I see is the
one that was sent to himself (he normally puts his name in the TO field and
the mailing list in the BCC field). He doesn't remember receiving any error
message. Neither do I see any in the maillog file for that day. Should I
look at any other log files to figure out if in fact any of the recipients
DID or DID NOT get that email? Please clue me in on this.

Thanks.

Rgds,

Raja Velu